Friday 1 December 2017

Next version delayed until tomorrow

Hi all, I was aiming to get the next version out tonight, but I feel like there's too much left to do and I've got to a point where I'm too tired to write decent content or reliably track down bugs.

I was perhaps too optimistic to attempt to squeeze in four scenes in one release, even though none of them is individually massive. I've also been hindered by my ongoing arm troubles but even so I feel pretty bad. I should have seen this coming and scaled back my ambitions or perhaps put out one of the scenes as a yml/vm framework for volunteers to fill in the details. I just buried my head in the sand. It was dumb and unprofessional.


I'm kind of upset about this as it means that this will be the first ever month without an update. What I'll be doing is releasing the public version tomorrow along with the patron one. That way anyone who supported in November but not December will still get the new version.


After tomorrow, there'll be another release in mid-december: I'll be aiming for around the 20th. I'll try to learn my lessons and start off by getting a simple version done that I can build on instead of leaving myself in a position where I have to implement everything I planned at the start of the month and have no real time set aside for contingencies.

I've made a post on Patreon from which this blog post is mostly copied. As I said there, if any patrons feel this isn't good enough then they should PM me over on that site.

3 comments:

  1. So first you upload a version on November 1st and proceed to claim "hurr it's not the end of October until I go to sleep!". This version is mostly content written by someone else as well.

    On Nov 8/9th you claim you're feeling a lot better.

    And on Dec 1st you still don't have anything to show for it for 2 months straight (Considering the content from Nov 1st was written by someone else).


    I can understand RL stuff being important and admitting things aren't going as planned is absolutely fine in my book. But you have to be admitting those things and not pretend you work 10+ hours on this per week (Let's face it, it's probably less than 10 hours a month on a good month).

    I decided to post this here instead of Patreon so non-patrons can read this. If you decide to still remove it, that's fine in my book, as long as you yourself realize things have been lackluster the last 4-5 months.

    I do like that you admit it towards the end of the post and try to make up for it ~Dec 20th and "try to learn my lessons".


    Personally, I really don't mind if content gets delayed or shit IRL causing issues. I care about honesty and communication more than anything. If you can't make a Dec release it'd be understandable because of the holidays and Christmas and everything; just be honest about it and I suggest not leaving us in the dark until the last moment. I'm sure people like to read what's on your mind.

    Just my two cents. I realize I'm quite harsh in the beginning so tried to make up for that later on while typing this comment. Hope it doesn't come across as too hostile, I just hope you understand where I'm coming from. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, so for ONE scene, Rigel, who wrote a scene integrated in .4.13 took about 25 hours.

      For scenes that are more complex, plus typos and misc. stuff, if S.O. spent <10H/Week on this update including time dealnig with patreon, blog and discord, I would be shocked.

      Maybe <10Hr/week discounting non-code related things.

      Delete
  2. First pass at 0.4.14 is on Patreon: has the new content but needs more testing. I'll do fixes tomorrow and then put out a proper version there and on this blog.

    ReplyDelete